Vietnam Cities has everything – trekking in the mountains, acquaintance with the underwater world, a cultural program in pagodas and museums, walking along the sand dunes and tropical jungle, and also a feast in local cafes.
It makes no sense to write a giant guidebook in this situation – you will still read half of it, and you will choose even fewer places. We think it’s more convenient to just get a list with addresses. So it will be, they drove.
Let’s start our list with the capital. In Hanoi, Western and Eastern cultures deftly coexist: the creations of the colonialists of past centuries, colorful temples and pagodas erected by hardworking Vietnamese, national eateries and trendy bars. Unlike other capitals, Hanoi is not as popular with tourists. And in vain, they lose a lot. At least a gastronomic adventure. As a maximum – acquaintance with the cultural flavor of the country.
What to do in Hanoi
Go to Hoa Lo PrisonShe is also called “Hanoi Hilton”. Once there were held prisoners of war from the United States, now it is a museum. 1 Hoa Lo, Tran Hung DaoTry Ban Mi’s signature sandwichIt is better to do it in the cafe of the same name Banh Mi 25 25 Hang Ca, Ward, Hoan KiemLearn about Vietnamese womenAnd also see the national clothes and accessories of different tribes Women’s Museum — 36 Ly Thuong KietTake a walk through the Thang Long Imperial CitadelIt is an archaeological site of political power, protected by UNESCO Imperial Citadel of Thang Long —19C Hoang Dieu, Dien BanTake a look at the city We recommend the observation deck of the Lotte Center building 54 Lieu Giai StreetWatch a performance at the Water Puppet TheaterThang Long Water Puppet Theatre 57B Dinh Tien HoangPet stone turtles for good luckView the carvings on the grounds of the Van Mieu Temple of Literature and try to read the ancient quotes of the wise men on the walls. Wander through the pagodas, getting to know the VIP’s university and the Confucian temple at the same time. Temple of Literature Van Mieu — 58 Quoc Tu Giam.Learn more about the country The Museum of Ethnology is suitable for this. Nguyen Van Huyen Street
- Learn from the locals the legend of the mythical turtle in Hoan Kiem Lake. It is also called the “Returned Sword” lake.
- Shop around in the Old Quarter and stop by the night market, which is open from Friday to Sunday. It is a pleasure to go shopping here, each street is dedicated to certain types of goods.
- Take a boat ride on West Lake, visit Tran Quoc Pagoda or see the oldest temple, Quan Thanh, built in the 6th century.
Where to go
If you are in Hanoi and a fan of temples, then it’s time to visit the Perfume Pagoda. The way is long: first by car, then by boat, then by cable car or on foot uphill. In general, it will take two hours. But the complex of Buddhist temples and sacred caves is impressive.
Ha Long Bay is located about 170 kilometers from the capital. The view of it is worthy of being on magnets and tourist postcards: these are thousands of small islands with dense jungle, crystal turquoise water. Take a boat trip.
Ho Chi Minh
The largest city in Vietnam. Before the war, it was named Saigon (after the river). The locals still call him that, so don’t get confused. They build skyscrapers next to cute colonial French buildings, shopping malls next to atmospheric Vietnamese markets. The noise and the number of mopeds per square meter may be shocking at first, but there are many places to hide from the hustle and bustle and get to know the culture. The history of the city is as long as the streets with street food.
What to do in Ho Chi Minh City
Traditionally, go to the marketRecommended Ben Thanh Market 57 Thap Muoi, 2, District 6Check out the local Notre Dame CathedralSaigon Notre-Dame Cathedral 01 Cong far from Paris, Ben Nghe, Quan 1Get some fresh coffee and take a walk in the parkWe recommend Tan Tao Park Tan Tao ParkDine on the banks of the river with Pho soupFor example, on the terrace of The Boathouse 40 Lily Road, APSC, 36 Thao DienKnow the whole horror of warМузей War Remnants 28 Vo Van Tan, Ward 6Take a short walking tour”Little Japan” area is good Little Japan: between Le Thanh Ton and Thai Van Lung streetsVisit the oldest pagoda in the city of Jacques Lam (Giac Lam)Wander through the garden, find a gift from Sri Lankan monks – the Bodhi tree. 565 Lac Long Quan
- Take a cooking class in Vietnamese cuisine.
- Enjoy the local Saigon beer for 30 rubles.
- It is an interesting place to look at the cutest Phoc An Hoi Quan pagoda – bright walls, lanterns and the smell of incense, painted plates, wood carvings telling urban legends.
- Spend an evening on the sinister Bui Vien street: dubious bars, massage parlors and eateries. But this is only for the sake of the atmosphere.
Where to go
About four hours from Ho Chi Minh City, there is a network of rivers and islands in the Mekong Delta. It is home to small villages, pagodas and floating markets. If you want to see the real Vietnam, then this place will show it better. Since the path is not short, we recommend taking an excursion, which includes a transfer and a boat trip.
Thirty kilometers – and you are already wandering through the underground Cu Chi Tunnels, built during the war. Not suitable for claustrophobic.
Locals and tourists alike affectionately call this city in the south “Vietnamese Paris” and “City of Eternal Spring”. Dalat was once a French colony and still retains its charm. There is no sea, but there are lakes and waterfalls, forests and flower gardens. It is located in the mountains, so a light breeze is provided.
What to do in Dalat
Walk through the summer residence of the last emperor of Vietnam You to the Bao Dai Palace. The interiors are still preserved inside. Bao Dai Summer Palace — 01 Trieu Viet VuongLearn more about the history and culture of the provinceThis can be done at the Lam Dong Museum Lam Dong Museum – 4 Hung VuơngHave a cocktailWe recommend a bar with an unusual decor, consisting of several rooms. 100 Roofs cafe – 57 Phan Boi ChauUnderstand why Dalat is called the “city of flowers”Visit the Da Lat Flower Gardens – you have hardly seen such an assortment of exotic and national plants. Da Lat Flower Gardens — 02 Tran Nhan Tong.Appreciate the fabulous architecture of the Mad HouseCrazy House or Hang Nga Guest House by Dang Viet Nga Hang Nga Guest House: 3 Huynh Thuc Khang Street
- Spend your honeymoon in Dalat.
- Arrange trekking to Mount Langbiang.
- Try Mi Quang at any overnight market. These are noodles, turmeric, peanuts, rice crackers and meats to choose from.
Where to go
The charming cascading waterfalls Elephant Falls near the Cam Lee River are located 25 kilometers from Dalat. It’s time to freshen up a little and take photos for the family album.
Bamboo groves, coniferous forests, hospitable locals – all this is 30 kilometers from Dalat, in the Bidoup Nui Ba National Park, located on high plateaus.
The colorful “City of Bridges”, in which there is not an ounce of uniformity in architecture: centuries-old pagodas, skyscrapers, French colonial buildings and narrow streets with Vietnamese box houses. If you want to be a seal – here are golden beaches for you, if you like to spend time actively – go to conquer the mountains. The cultural program? Here are the pagodas and museums. And some more impressive bridges for photo shoots.
What to do in Da Nang
Watch the light showTakes place on weekends at 9pm on Dragon Bridge Dragon Bridge, Phuoc Ninh, Hai Chau DistrictArrange a Museum DayChama Sculpture Museum Cham Sculpture museum — No. 02 September 2, Binh Hien, Hai ChauHo Chi Minh Museum Ho Chi Minh museum — 3 Duy Tan StreetВоенный The Fifth Military Division Museum 1 Duy Tan StreetHistoric Da Nang museum 24 Tran Phu StreetRide a Ferris wheel in Asia Park Asia Park — 1 Phan Dang LuuHave a drink at the bar Golden Pine — 52 Bach Dang, Hai Chau 1Buy nice trinkets on the market Con Market —Huong Vuong streetArrange a tasting of coffee drinks Cong Caphe — 96-98 Bach Dang
- Go surfing at My Khe Beach and Nun Noc.
- Admire the illuminated Han River Bridge on an evening cruise.
- Climb to the top of Ba Na and devote the day to the Ba Na Hill amusement park.
- See the Lady Buddha statue at Linh Ung Pagoda. Attention, you need to climb the mountain.
Where to go in Da Nang
The Marble Mountains are located 9 kilometers from the city. These are five hills, between which valleys stretch. The name comes from the mineral that has been mined here for centuries. When you ascend, you will see caves and grottoes, pagodas. And at the top, of course, an amazing view opens up.
Head to Long Huyet Lake to soak up the Nui Than Tai Hot Springs or have fun at the water park. Drive about 45 minutes.
Probably the most romantic city in quite noisy Vietnam. The old town is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List: each house has its own history. The streets are decorated with flashlights, you can ride a bike on them without worrying that you will be attacked by signals from bikes. And a stone’s throw to the beautiful beach and the river, along which funny boats ply.
What to do in Hoi An
Taste a local coffeeWe advise those with a sweet tooth to order a drink in Vietnamese – with condensed milk Mia Coffee — 20 Duong Phan Boi ChauTake a picture of the Japanese bridge Japanese Covered Bridge — Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Phuong Minh An;
- Rent a small house near the river with a patio.
- Wander into the Old City (Hoi An Ancient Town).
- Sew a suit or dress to order.
- Celebrate a wedding here. Or look at someone else.
- Count the colorful lanterns. Or visit the Lantern Market at Hoi An Night Market.
- Take a boat ride along the canals.
- Spend the day at An Bang Beach.
- Taste the local specialty Cao Lao at the waterfront cafe. These are brown rice noodles with meat, herbs and rice crackers.
Where to go in Hoi An
- Hoi An Silk Village, an authentic silk-producing village, is just one kilometer away. You can pick up something for your mom as a gift or learn how to work with the material yourself. Those interested can feed silkworms.
- 60 kilometers from Hoi An, the whole archaeological park My Son Ruins is located with the ruins of temples. Check out the museum for history. The park is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Snorkelers can take a tour of the Cham Islands archipelago or Cu Lao Cham, which consists of eight small islands. Boats depart from the suburban port.
What to do in Nha Trang
- See the underwater creatures at the National Oceanographic Museum.
- Visit the Po Nagar Cham temple – a temple complex located on the La Lao mountain within the city.
- Then climb up to the Buddha at the Long Son Pagoda. Attention, locals do not really like antics for a photo against the background of Holiness, so be careful.
- Taste popsicles with different flavors while reducing the price of Vietnamese coffee at the Cho Dem night market.
- There is nothing to deny yourself in the Grill Garden buffet: crocodiles, snakes, frogs and sea creatures in unlimited quantities for a fixed fee of $ 11.
- Demonstrate trading skills in the Dam Market.
- Listen to covers of the Russian band and watch Asian dances in the Z-club nightclub.
Where to go
- Become a child for one day and go to the entertainment island Vinpearl Amusement Park. There is so much here: a water park, and attractions, and 4D and 5D cinemas, fountain shows, a beach, cafes … And one of the longest cable cars over the sea, leading to this paradise.
- Travel to North Port, from where you can get to Monkey Island or Orchids Island.
- A floating fish market (Tri Nguyen fishing village) is located 10 kilometers from the city. Come here for a fresh seafood lunch.
- Go to Yang Bay Ecopark and run the three waterfalls. Then you can hike through the rainforest, visit the mini-zoo, or soak in the hot spring bath. It is located 40 kilometers from Nha Trang.
Mui Ne and Phan Thiet
Things to do
- Take a kite or windsurfing lesson at one of the schools.
- Soak up the white sand of Suoi Nuo Beach. If you go into the water before noon, make sure that no newcomer on the kite does not take you down.
- Try on yourself the massage done by the blind.
- Watch the sunset in the fishing village (Phan Thiet Harbor).
- Overeat seafood, here they are the freshest and at the most pleasant prices – mussels, shrimp, squid and fish within $ 5.
- Appreciate The Prince’s Castle on Ong Hoang Hill
- Walk along the Red Dunes.
- Ride an ostrich at a farm near Fairy Stream (49B Huynh Thuc Khang).
- Enjoy live music and cocktails at Line Up Beach Bar (122 Nguyen Dình Chieu).
Where to go
Ride an ATV on the White Sand Dunes, which are 25 kilometers from the city. Yes, dunes in Vietnam. Have some fun.
It is a small island off the coast of Cambodia, but still part of Vietnam. If you were planning a cultural program, then this is a problem. But nature lovers will love parks, mountains and waterfalls. And for fans of beautiful beaches and water activities, this place will seem like a paradise.
Things to do
- Ride a motorbike around the island.
- Arrange a walk with halts in Phu Quoc National Park, which occupies almost half of the island.
- Protest street food at Duong Dong Market.
- Learn the secret of fish sauce at Khai Hoan Factory.
- I don’t like lying on the board – please, stand-up paddle boarding is at your service on all beaches. Just get up and paddle.
- Arrange trekking to one of the island’s mountains in the National Park.
- Follow the wildlife on a safari at Vinpearl Wildlife Park.
- Remember childhood dreams by watching the mermaid show in the same Vinpearl Land amusement park.
- Try your luck at local casinos.
- Take a refreshing dip at the Suoi Tranh Waterfall, located in the center of the island.
- Swing on the Sao beach swing.
- Boo and overeat crabs at the Crab House.
- Admire the starfish on the beach of the same name (Starfish Beach).
- Drink coconut wine at the Coco Bar.
- Try something exotic at Dinh Cau Night Market: frog, crocodile or snake.
Where to go
If even Phu Quoc is a bit big for you, take a boat trip through the 15-island An Thoi Archipelago. Here you can sunbathe on virgin beaches and dive in crystal waters, enjoying the silence.
More About Vietnam – Vietnam Cities and places to visit