James Bond Island earned its popularity with his role in the James Bond film ‘The Man with the Golden Gun’. One of the most important features of this island is the long vertical island that stands out from the Gulf of Koh Khao Ping Kan. The entire island is under National Park Protection which is the reason for its true and untouched beauty. Also, no boats are allowed due to their condition.
James Bond Island Overview
Khao Phing Kan is popularly known as James Bond Island located in Ao Phang Nga National Park in Phang Nga Bay. Located in the northeast of Phuket, James Bond Island is one of the most popular tourist places in Phuket. James Bond Island is a part of Ao Phang Nga National Park which is a protected area due to various destructions caused by tourists.
Khao Phing Kan was featured in the James Bond film “The Man with the Golden Gun”. Hence, this island is popularly called James Bond Island. Another popular thing that lies along the coast of the land is a 20-meter-long islet called Ko Ta Pu or Khao Ta Pu. The islet is very popular for its unique structure and is visited by a large number of tourists. There is a local legend about Ko Ta Pu that explains its unique structure.
It goes like this – Many years ago a fisherman used to go fishing in the waters near the islet. Whenever he went fishing, he used to catch a lot of fish. One day, he failed to catch a single fish and instead caught a nail. Enraged by this, he broke a nail into two pieces and threw one piece into the water. Later it became Keel Ko Ta Pu. From boating to diving in the blue waters, the natural beauty of James Bond Island can be enjoyed. Also, one can eat the mouth-watering pla mook heng (dried squid) popular with James Bond Island.
- Ao Phang Nga National Park was established to protect the natural environment of the island.
- The island was called “James Bond Island” after it appeared in the 1974 James Bond film “The Man with the Golden Gun”.
- James Bond Island is known for its rocky terrain and the limestone cliffs that surround the island with lush green flora and fauna.
- The 250 million-year-old limestone formation along Phang Nga Bay is widely popular among tourists.
- The island has many recreational activities like a speed boat ride in the crystal waters for exploring the island with family and friends.
- Tourists usually like to take a dip in the water and do sunbathing sessions along the bay to relax and unwind in the natural environment.
Points Of Interest for James Bond Island
Sailing has become a very popular activity on James Bond Island as Phan Nga Bay covers more than 400 square kilometers. The ideal way to sail through the calm waters of the bay is to sail via a charter catamaran to see the true essence of the island and coast.
Phang Nga is one of the popular places for regatta sailing. Every year charter and private yachts gather for sailing and celebrations.
For tourists wanting to explore the island and the bay alone, they can opt for a tour with kayaking. Kayaking and James Bond Island is a great combo as visitors get to experience firsthand the majestic flora and fauna of the island as well. Tourists can wait till the end of the day to watch the sunset along the bay while kayaking during daylight hours.
In Phang Nga Bay, tourists love to swim and explore marine life on their own. The clear waters and small fish of the bay provide a high dose of adrenaline and a thrilling experience. Swimmers often enjoy the calm waters of the bay, followed by a sunbathing session on the white sands of James Bond Island.
How To Reach James Bond Island
There are two ways to reach James Bond Island. One from Phuket and the other from Krabi.
From Phuket: One can take a boat from Phuket Jetty to James Bond Island. On your way, you can visit Phang Nga Bay, Au Port, etc. It takes around 1-1.hrs to reach here.
From Krabi: It is a long route covering a distance of about 80 km. One can also take an excursion from Krabi Beach which will take you through several places to finally reach James Bond Island. You may need to book your trip 1 day prior to your trip as the booking is already done on Krabi Island.
Best Time To Visit James Bond Island
The best time of day to visit James Bond Island is in the evening as more and more marine animals can be seen on the beach. The best time of year to visit James Bond Island is from November to April as the climate is suitable and mild.
During this period, you can witness stunning rain showers, but they add to the beauty of the island. If you are planning to visit the island and avoid the crowd, then go to the island in October.
Phuket is the best city in Thailand with many trendy and natural places to visit. Given below are some places to visit near James Bond Island:
- Ao Phang Nga National Park– Ao Phang Nga National Park consists of three islands – Muang Phang Nga, Takua Thung, and James Bond Island which are spread over an area of 400 sq. km. The national park also has some rivers flowing between these three islands. The national park has been very popular and is highly visited by tourists from all over the world.
The azure waters of Phang Nga Bay are located near Phang Nga Bay Go Scuba Diving National Park. There are also other sports activities such as rock climbing, snorkeling, and more.
- Ao Phang Nga Beach- The white sand of the beach and the azure waters of the Andaman Sea make Ao Phang Nga Beach an ideal place to spend the evening. Activities like canoeing and kayaking are available at this beach and can be enjoyed by anyone. Sit by the white sands of the beach and indulge in some hot and steamy barbecue foods.
- Ko Pani- This magnificent village is located on the outskirts of Ao Phang Nga Beach and is one of the finest tourist attractions in the area. One can enjoy a pleasant day at the small beach near the village and take a walk in the village streets in the evening. Situated close to the beach, Ko Panyi is frequented by tourists visiting James Bond Island.
- Ko Pani Rock Art- There are many paintings and arts in the Ko Pani caves located near Ko Pani village. These paintings are said to be from prehistoric times and include images of fish, elephants, goats, horses, and many other animals.
- Phi Phi Islands- Phi Phi Islands, a group of islands, is one of the finest islands near James Bond Island. James Bond can take a speedboat or jetty from the island to reach Phi Phi Island. You can learn about the oldest human settlements in Thailand on Phi Phi Island. Bamboo Island, one of the six islands of Phi Phi is a very beautiful island surrounded by coral reefs. One can sleep in tents near Bamboo Island Beach and enjoy the night sky with some barbecue food and drink.
Flora and Fauna of James Bond Island
Ao Phang Nga National Park has the largest mangrove forest in Thailand. Apart from mangroves, one can see plants like pandanus, cycads, and euphorbia which grow on land without soil such as the crevices of Ko Ta Pu. Under shallow water, a large number of plankton will be visible. Apart from plankton, one will also find aquatic plants like sea grass, Halimeda, and red algae.
James Bond Island is home to about 25 reptile species, 40 species of fish, and 14 species of shrimp. Of the 40 species of fish, one will find manta rays, game fish, and about 16 species of sharks. Most of these fish are coral reefs, such as butterflyfish.
Apart from this, other animals like Mudskipper, Blue Crab, Humpback Shrimp, Mackerel, Moray Eel, Rabbitfish, Staghorn Coral, and Black Sea Cucumber, Soft Cuttlefish, Pomfret, Scad, Anchovies and many more will also be found. James Bond Island is home to many birds and some migratory birds such as the striped heron, heron, Pacific reef heron, and more.
Here are some things that you must keep during your visit to James Bond Island:
- Sun Lotion or Sun Guard Cream
- A pair of Sunglasses
- Hat or Cap
- Swimming suit
- An extra pair of clothes
- Energy drinks and basic medicines
- Medium-size backpack (waterproof
- Camera and an extra pair of batteries
- Check the weather forecast before visiting the islands.
- Guide services are available in all the major hotels. Hire a guide if you wish to know in-depth details about the islands