Vienna International Airport, also known as Flughafen Wien-Schwechat, is the largest and busiest airport in Austria. It is located just outside of Vienna, the country’s capital and largest city, and serves as a hub for numerous airlines, including Austrian Airlines and Eurowings Europe.
In this article, we’ll take an in-depth look at Vienna International Airport, providing valuable information for anyone planning to travel through this airport.
Table of Contents
- Airport Overview
- Terminal Information
- Airlines Operating at Vienna International Airport
- Transportation to and from the Airport
- Parking Options
- Airport Lounges
- Wi-Fi and Internet Access
- Shops and Restaurants
- Airport Hotels
- Frequently Asked Questions About Vienna International Airport
Vienna International Airport is located approximately 18 kilometers southeast of Vienna’s city center. It is the largest airport in Austria, serving over 31 million passengers in 2019. The airport has two main runways and four terminals and is known for its modern architecture and amenities.
Vienna International Airport has four terminals: Terminal 1, Terminal 2, the Skylink Terminal, and the Terminal 3 extension. Each terminal serves different airlines and destinations, so it is important to check which terminal your flight will depart from or arrive at before you travel.
- Terminal 1: Serves airlines such as Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, and Turkish Airlines.
- Terminal 2: Serves airlines such as easyJet, Wizz Air, and Ryanair.
- Skylink Terminal: Serves airlines such as Air France, KLM, and Emirates.
- Terminal 3 extension: Serves airlines such as Aeroflot, Qatar Airways, and Delta.
All terminals are connected by a Skylink train, which runs every two to three minutes and is free of charge for passengers.
Airlines Operating at Vienna International Airport
Vienna International Airport is a hub for Austrian Airlines and is also served by many other major airlines from around the world. Some of the airlines operating at Vienna International Airport include:
- Austrian Airlines
- Turkish Airlines
- Air France
- Qatar Airways
- Wizz Air
Transportation to and from the Airport
Vienna International Airport is well-connected to Vienna’s city center and surrounding areas by various transportation options.
- Train: The City Airport Train (CAT) provides a direct connection from the airport to Vienna’s city center in just 16 minutes. The train runs every half hour from 6:00 am to 11:30 pm and costs €12 one way.
- S-Bahn: The S7 S-Bahn line provides a cheaper option for travel to and from the airport, with trains departing every 30 minutes and taking approximately 25 minutes to reach Vienna’s city center. A single ticket costs €3.90.
- Bus: Several bus lines operate between the airport and various locations in Vienna and the surrounding areas, including the Vienna Airport Lines and the Flixbus.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside of the arrivals area of each terminal. A trip to Vienna’s city center typically costs around €40-€50.
Vienna International Airport offers a range of parking options to suit the needs of travelers. Here are some of the most popular parking options available:
- Short-term parking: The short-term parking areas are located in front of the terminals, with easy access to the check-in area. The short-term parking rates start from €3.70 for the first half hour, with a maximum daily rate of €36.00.
- Long-term parking: The long-term parking areas are located a little further away from the terminals, but are still easily accessible by shuttle bus or train. The long-term parking rates start from €3.60 for the first hour, with a maximum daily rate of €29.00.
- Garage parking: The multi-story parking garages offer both short-term and long-term parking options. The rates for garage parking start from €4.00 for the first half hour, with a maximum daily rate of €39.00.
- Valet parking: For a hassle-free parking experience, travelers can opt for valet parking. This service allows travelers to drop off their vehicle at the terminal and has it parked for them. The valet parking rates start from €45.00 per day.
- Motorcycle parking: There are designated parking areas for motorcycles at Vienna International Airport. The motorcycle parking rates start from €2.50 for the first hour, with a maximum daily rate of €10.00.
It is important to note that parking rates may vary depending on the time of year and availability. Travelers are advised to check the airport’s website or contact the parking service provider for up-to-date information on parking options and rates.
Additionally, Vienna International Airport also offers special parking options for disabled travelers. There are designated parking spaces located near the terminal entrances, with easy access to the check-in area. Disabled travelers are required to display their disability parking permit to avail of these spaces.
Vienna International Airport offers several lounges for passengers looking for a more comfortable and relaxing airport experience.
- Austrian Airlines Lounges: There are two Austrian Airlines lounges in the airport, one in Terminal 2 and the other in Terminal 3. Passengers traveling in Business Class with Austrian Airlines or other Star Alliance airlines, as well as Star Alliance Gold members, can access these lounges. The lounges offer a range of amenities, including complimentary food and drinks, Wi-Fi, and shower facilities.
- Sky Lounge: The Sky Lounge is located in Terminal 3 and is accessible to all passengers for a fee. The lounge offers a variety of snacks and drinks, as well as comfortable seating and Wi-Fi.
- JET Lounge: The JET Lounge is located in Terminal 1 and is accessible to all passengers for a fee. The lounge offers snacks, drinks, Wi-Fi, and shower facilities.
- Air Lounge: The Air Lounge is located in Terminal 1 and is accessible to all passengers for a fee. The lounge offers snacks, drinks, and Wi-Fi.
- Austrian Business Lounge: The Austrian Business Lounge is located in Terminal 3 and is accessible to passengers traveling in Business Class with Austrian Airlines or other Star Alliance airlines, as well as Star Alliance Gold members. The lounge offers a range of amenities, including complimentary food and drinks, Wi-Fi, and shower facilities.
- Priority Pass Lounges: Passengers with a Priority Pass membership can access several lounges at Vienna International Airport, including the JET Lounge, Sky Lounge, and AIR Lounge.
Overall, Vienna International Airport offers a good selection of lounges for passengers to choose from, with options for both airline-specific lounges and independent lounges.
Wi-Fi and Internet Access
Vienna International Airport offers free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal buildings. Passengers can connect to the airport’s Wi-Fi network by selecting the “Airport Free Wi-Fi” network and accepting the terms and conditions of use. The Wi-Fi is available 24/7 and offers high-speed connectivity for browsing, streaming, and downloading.
In addition to the free Wi-Fi, passengers can also access premium Wi-Fi services for an additional fee. This premium service offers higher speeds and is ideal for business travelers or those who require a more robust internet connection.
For those who do not have their own device or laptop, Vienna International Airport provides internet kiosks throughout the airport. These kiosks offer internet access and printing services for a fee.
Overall, the airport’s Wi-Fi and internet access services are reliable and efficient, allowing passengers to stay connected throughout their journey.
Shops and Restaurants
Vienna International Airport has a wide variety of shops and restaurants to choose from, whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a sit-down meal. The airport has over 70 different shops, ranging from fashion and beauty to electronics and souvenirs. Some popular stores include Swarovski, Hugo Boss, and Nespresso.
When it comes to dining options, Vienna International Airport has over 40 restaurants and cafes to choose from. There are plenty of fast-food options available, as well as more formal sit-down restaurants. Some popular choices include Burger King, McDonald’s, and Starbucks. For those looking for something more upscale, there are also several high-end restaurants offering fine dining experiences.
In addition to traditional shops and restaurants, the airport also has several duty-free stores where passengers can purchase items like alcohol, tobacco, and perfume at tax-free prices. These stores are located in both the departure and arrival areas of the airport.
Overall, Vienna International Airport has a wide range of shopping and dining options to keep passengers entertained and fed during their travels.
Vienna International Airport has several hotels nearby that offer shuttle services to and from the airport. These include:
- NH Vienna Airport Conference Center: This hotel is located just a 5-minute drive from the airport and offers a free shuttle service to guests. It features a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness center.
- MOXY Vienna Airport: This trendy hotel is located right next to the airport and offers a free shuttle service to guests. It features a 24/7 gym, a bar, and a restaurant.
- NH Vienna Airport Hotel: This modern hotel is located just a 5-minute drive from the airport and offers a free shuttle service to guests. It features a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness center.
- Arion Airport Hotel: This hotel is located just a 5-minute drive from the airport and offers a free shuttle service to guests. It features a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness center.
- Airport Boutique Hotel Hein: This boutique hotel is located just a 10-minute walk from the airport and offers a free shuttle service to guests. It features a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness center.
These hotels offer convenient options for travelers who need to catch an early flight or who have a long layover at the airport. Additionally, there are many other hotels located in the city of Vienna, which is easily accessible from the airport via train or taxi.
- Lihue Airport: Facilities, Services, and Tips for Travelers
- Florence Airport: Facilities, Transportation, and Tips
- Narita International Airport: A Comprehensive Guide for Travelers
Frequently Asked Questions About Vienna International Airport
- What is the airport code for Vienna International Airport?
The airport code for Vienna Airport is VIE.
- How far is Vienna International Airport from the city center?
Vienna Airport is located approximately 18 kilometers (11 miles) southeast of the city center.
- Which airlines operate at Vienna International Airport?
Vienna Airport is a hub for Austrian Airlines and serves as a focus city for low-cost carriers such as Ryanair and Wizz Air. Other airlines that operate at the airport include Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines, and Emirates.
- Does Vienna International Airport have Wi-Fi?
Yes, Vienna Airport offers free Wi-Fi throughout the airport. Passengers can connect to the Wi-Fi network by selecting the “Vienna Airport” network on their device and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Is there public transportation to and from Vienna International Airport?
Yes, there are several public transportation options to and from Vienna Airport, including the City Airport Train (CAT), the S-Bahn (suburban railway), and several bus lines. Taxis and rental cars are also available.
- Are there any lounges at Vienna International Airport?
Yes, Vienna Airport has several lounges available for passengers, including lounges operated by Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, and Sky Lounge.
- What shopping options are available at Vienna International Airport?
Vienna Airport has a wide range of shopping options available, including duty-free shops, fashion boutiques, electronics stores, and souvenir shops.
- Are there any airport hotels at Vienna International Airport?
Yes, Vienna Airport has several airport hotels located within walking distance or a short shuttle ride from the terminal, including NH Vienna Airport Conference Center, Moxy Vienna Airport, and the Hilton Vienna Airport.
- Is there parking available at Vienna International Airport?
Yes, Vienna Airport has several parking options available, including short-term and long-term parking, as well as a valet service.
- What is the best time to travel through Vienna International Airport?
The best time to travel through Vienna Airport is typically in the morning or early afternoon when crowds are lighter. However, it is always recommended to arrive at the airport with plenty of time before your flight to allow for any unexpected delays or issues.