Lihue Airport is the primary airport serving the island of Kauai in Hawaii. It is located in the southeastern part of the island, about 2 miles east of the town of Lihue. The airport is served by several major airlines, including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines, with flights to and from major cities in Hawaii, the United States mainland, and Canada. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide to Lihue Airport, including its facilities, transportation options, and tips for a stress-free travel experience.
Airport Overview and History
Lihue Airport, also known as Lihue Airport at Hanalei, was first opened in 1950 to serve the growing tourism industry on the island. Over the years, the airport has undergone several renovations and expansions to keep up with the increasing number of visitors to Kauai. Today, the airport features one terminal building with two levels and several gates serving both domestic and international flights.
Facilities and Amenities
While the Airport may be small, it offers several facilities and amenities to ensure a comfortable and convenient travel experience for its passengers. The airport features a variety of shops and restaurants, including a duty-free store, a gift shop, and a café. There are also several ATMs and currency exchange services available for those needing to withdraw or exchange money.
For those in need of assistance, the Airport offers special services such as wheelchair assistance, nursing rooms, and a service animal relief area. There are also several rental car companies located on-site for those who need to rent a car during their stay on the island.
- Dining and shopping options: There are several restaurants and cafes at the Airport, including Starbucks, Burger King, and Maui Tacos. There are also several shops selling Hawaiian souvenirs, clothing, and jewelry.
- Wi-Fi: Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the airport terminal.
- ATM: There is an ATM located in the baggage claim area of the terminal.
- Baggage storage: The Airport offers baggage storage facilities for a fee. The baggage storage area is located near the baggage claim area.
- Lost and found: The airport has a lost and found office located in the baggage claim area.
- Currency exchange: There is no currency exchange facility available at the Airport.
There are several transportation options available for travelers arriving at Lihue Airport. Rental cars are a popular choice for tourists who wish to explore the island at their own pace, and several rental car companies have offices located on-site. Taxis are also available outside the terminal building for those who prefer to be driven around.
Public transportation is another option for travelers, with several bus routes serving the airport and other areas of the island. The Kauai Bus, which is operated by the County of Kauai, offers affordable fares and convenient routes that run throughout the island.
- Car rental: Several car rental companies operate at the Airport, including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. The car rental facilities are located in a separate building just a short walk from the terminal.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside the baggage claim area of the terminal. The fare from the airport to Lihue town is around $15-20.
- Shuttle: Several shuttle companies provide transportation to and from Lihue Airport. The shuttle pick-up area is located outside the baggage claim area of the terminal.
- Public transportation: The Kauai Bus provides public transportation to and from Lihue Airport. The bus stop is located outside the terminal building.
Lihue Airport serves as a hub for several airlines, including Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines, and Delta Air Lines. There are several domestic and international flights that depart and arrive at Lihue Airport daily. The airport is also home to a small general aviation terminal for private planes and charters.
Tips for Travelers
If you’re planning on traveling through Lihue Airport, there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure a smooth and stress-free experience. First, be sure to arrive at the airport early to allow enough time for check-in and security screening. Security lines can be long, especially during peak travel times, so it’s best to give yourself plenty of time to get through.
Another tip is to pack light and bring only the essentials, as overhead storage space on planes can be limited. If you’re planning on renting a car, be sure to make reservations in advance to ensure availability, as car rentals can be in high demand during peak travel seasons.
- Arrive early: It’s always a good idea to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your scheduled departure time to allow enough time for check-in, security screening, and boarding.
- Pack wisely: Make sure to pack your carry-on bags with the essentials you’ll need during the flight, such as medications, travel documents, and electronic devices. Also, make sure to follow the TSA guidelines for prohibited items.
- Check your flight status: Check your flight status before heading to the airport to avoid any unexpected delays or cancellations.
- Reserve your rental car in advance: If you plan on renting a car, make sure to reserve it in advance to ensure availability and to save time at the rental counter.
- Consider taking a shuttle: If you don’t plan on renting a car, consider taking a shuttle to your hotel or other destination on the island.
- Don’t forget to relax: Lihue Airport is located in a beautiful tropical setting. Take some time to relax and enjoy the scenery before your flight.
- Florence Airport: Facilities, Transportation, and Tips
- Narita International Airport: A Comprehensive Guide for Travelers
- Tokyo Haneda Airport
Frequently Asked Questions About Lihue Airport
- Are there rental car companies located at Lihue Airport?
Yes, there are several rental car companies located at Lihue Airport, including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National.
- Is there a currency exchange at Lihue Airport?
Yes, there is a currency exchange located at Lihue Airport. It is located in the baggage claim area of the terminal.
- Are there any restaurants or shops at Lihue Airport?
Yes, there are several restaurants and shops located at Lihue Airport. There are fast food options, coffee shops, and sit-down restaurants. There are also several shops selling gifts, souvenirs, and duty-free items.
- Is there free Wi-Fi available at Lihue Airport?
Yes, there is free Wi-Fi available throughout Lihue Airport. Passengers can connect to the Wi-Fi network by selecting “LIH Free WiFi” on their device and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Are there any lounges at Lihue Airport?
Yes, there is one lounge at Lihue Airport called the Premier Club Lounge. It is located in the terminal and offers comfortable seating, snacks, and beverages. Access to the lounge can be purchased online or at the lounge itself.