Singapore Flyer is a giant Ferris wheel located in the city-state of Singapore. Standing at a height of 165 meters (541 feet), it is one of the tallest Ferris wheels in the world, offering panoramic views of the city’s skyline and beyond.
Riding the Flyer is an experience not to be missed while visiting Singapore. The journey begins at the base of the Flyer, where you’ll board one of the 28 air-conditioned capsules. Each capsule can hold up to 28 people and is equipped with comfortable seating and a glass floor, allowing riders to enjoy the views from all angles.
As the Flyer begins to rotate, you’ll be treated to breathtaking views of the city’s skyline, the Marina Bay area, and even the Indonesian islands of Batam and Bintan on a clear day. The ride takes about 30 minutes, during which time you can sit back and relax or snap pictures to capture the memories.
In addition to the stunning views, the Flyer also offers a range of dining and entertainment options. The Flyer has its own food court and a range of dining experiences, including fine dining at the Flyer Fiesta and al fresco dining at the Skyview Café. There are also special events and activities held on the Flyer, such as yoga classes and wine tastings, making it a unique and memorable experience for visitors of all ages.
If you’re planning a trip to Singapore, be sure to add the Flyer to your itinerary. Whether you’re a tourist looking to take in the sights or a local looking for a new perspective on the city, the Flyer is a must-see attraction. So, this was a brief overview of the Flyer. Hope you have a great time there!
History of Singapore Flyer
The Flyer was developed by Singapore Flyer Pte Ltd, a company owned by Melvyn Ho and his family. Construction of the Flyer began in 2005 and it officially opened to the public on March 1, 2008.
The idea for the Singapore Flyer was inspired by the success of the London Eye, a giant Ferris wheel located in London, England. The developers of the Flyer wanted to create a similar attraction in Singapore that would offer panoramic views of the city and attract tourists from around the world.
The Flyer was designed by David Marks and Julia Barfield, the architects behind the London Eye. It features a sleek, modern design with 28 air-conditioned capsules that can hold up to 28 people each. The Flyer is powered by two 15,000 horsepower motors and takes about 30 minutes to complete a full rotation.
In its first year of operation, the Flyer welcomed more than 2 million visitors and has continued to be a popular tourist attraction. In addition to offering breathtaking views of the city, the Flyer also hosts a range of dining and entertainment options, making it a unique and memorable experience for visitors of all ages.
Read More – 6 Water Activities to Try in Singapore
Reasons to Visit Singapore Flyer
- Panoramic views: The Flyer offers breathtaking views of the city’s skyline and beyond. From the top of the Flyer, you can see landmarks such as the Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay, and the Singapore Strait.
- Unique experience: Riding the Flyer is a unique experience that you won’t find anywhere else. The air-conditioned capsules and comfortable seating make it a comfortable and enjoyable ride.
- Dining and entertainment options: In addition to the stunning views, the Flyer also offers a range of dining and entertainment options. You can enjoy a meal or a drink at one of the Flyer’s dining establishments or participate in special events and activities held on the Flyer.
- Great for all ages: The Singapore Flyer is a great attraction for visitors of all ages. The capsules are wheelchair accessible and there are activities and events suitable for children and adults alike.
- Convenient location: The Flyer is conveniently located in the heart of Singapore’s downtown area, making it easy to access many of the city’s hotels and attractions.
Overall, the Singapore Flyer is a must-see attraction while visiting Singapore, offering breathtaking views, a unique experience, and a range of dining and entertainment options.
Read More – Sentosa Island, Singapore
The Flyer Singapore Dining
The Flyer offers a range of dining options for visitors. Some of the dining experiences available include:
- Singapore Flyer Fiesta: This is a fine dining experience featuring a buffet of international cuisine and breathtaking views of the city.
- Skyview Café: This al fresco dining option offers a range of dishes, including Singaporean favorites and international cuisine, as well as a selection of drinks.
- Food court: The Flyer has its own food court offering a range of local and international dishes.
- Special events and experiences: In addition to these dining options, the Flyer also hosts special events and experiences, such as wine tastings and yoga classes, that include food and drink.
Visitors to the Flyer can choose from a range of dining options to suit their preferences and budget. Whether you’re looking for a fine dining experience or a quick bite to eat, the Flyer has something for everyone.
Unique Experiences Singapore Flyer
In addition to the stunning views and dining options, the Flyer also offers a range of unique experiences for visitors. Some of these experiences include:
- Sunset flights: The Singapore Flyer offers special sunset flights, allowing visitors to watch the sunset over the city while enjoying a drink and light snack.
- Private capsule rentals: Visitors can rent a private capsule for special events such as birthdays, anniversaries, or corporate events. These private capsules come with a range of amenities including food and drink options, decor, and a dedicated host.
- Yoga classes: The Flyer offers yoga classes in one of its capsules, allowing participants to enjoy a unique workout with panoramic views of the city.
- Wine tastings: The Flyer also hosts wine tastings, where visitors can sample a selection of wines while taking in the views.
- Private dining: Private dining experiences are also available on the Singapore Flyer, allowing visitors to enjoy a special meal in a private capsule with panoramic views of the city.
These are just a few of the unique experiences available at the Flyer. Whether you’re looking for a romantic evening out or a unique workout, the Flyer has something for everyone.
How to Reach Singapore Flyer
The Singapore Flyer is conveniently located in the downtown area of Singapore, making it easy to access from many parts of the city. Here are a few options for reaching the Flyer:
- By MRT (Mass Rapid Transit): The nearest MRT station to the Flyer is Promenade station on the Circle Line and Downtown Line. From there, it is a short walk to the Flyer.
- By bus: Several bus routes stop near the Flyer, including bus numbers 36, 56, 57, 70, 97, 100, 107, 961, and NR1.
- By taxi: Taxis are widely available in Singapore and can be hailed from the street or booked through a ride-hailing app. The Flyer is a well-known landmark and should be easy for taxi drivers to find.
- By car: There are several car parks available near the Flyer for those who prefer to drive.
Overall, the Singapore Flyer is easy to reach by a variety of transportation options. Whether you’re using public transportation or a taxi, you should have no problem getting to the Flyer.
Frequently asked questions about Singapore Flyer
Q. How tall is the Singapore Flyer?
A – The Flyer is 165 meters (541 feet) tall.
Q. How many capsules does the Singapore Flyer have?
A – The Flyer has 28 air-conditioned capsules.
Q. How long does it take to complete a rotation on the Singapore Flyer?
A – The ride on the Flyer takes about 30 minutes to complete a full rotation.
Q. Can the Singapore Flyer be ridden at night?
A – Yes, the Flyer is open until late in the evening and offers night rides with views of the city’s skyline and illuminated landmarks.
Q. Is the Singapore Flyer wheelchair accessible?
A – Yes, the Flyer is wheelchair accessible and has special capsules for wheelchair users.
Q. Are there any age restrictions for riding the Singapore Flyer?
A – There are no age restrictions for riding the Singapore Flyer, but children under the age of 3 must be accompanied by an adult.
Q. Are there any dining options on the Singapore Flyer?
A – Yes, the Flyer has a range of dining options including a food court, a café, and fine dining at the Singapore Flyer Fiesta.
Q. Can the Singapore Flyer be rented for private events?
A – Yes, private capsule rentals are available for special events such as birthdays, anniversaries, and corporate events.
Q. Are there any special events or activities held on the Singapore Flyer?
A – Yes, the Flyer hosts a range of special events and activities, including yoga classes and wine tastings.
Q. Is there a dress code for the Singapore Flyer?
A – There is no specific dress code for the Singapore Flyer, but it is recommended to dress comfortably as the ride can get warm.
Q. Can I bring my camera to the Singapore Flyer?
A – Yes, cameras are allowed on the Flyer and there are plenty of opportunities to take pictures of the stunning views.
Q. Is there a souvenir shop on the Singapore Flyer?
A – Yes, there is a souvenir shop on the Flyer where you can purchase souvenirs and gifts.
Q. Are there restrooms on the Singapore Flyer?
A – Yes, there are restrooms available on the Flyer.
Q. Can I purchase tickets online?
A – Yes, tickets for the Flyer can be purchased online through the official website or through a travel agent.
Q. Can I get a discount on tickets?
A – There are a few ways to get a discount on tickets for the Flyer. Some credit card companies offer discounts for their cardholders, and there are also discounts available for students, seniors, and children. It’s also worth checking for promotions or discounts on the Singapore Flyer’s official website.