Newark Liberty International Airport, also known as EWR, is one of the busiest airports in the United States. It is located in Newark, New Jersey, just 15 miles southwest of Midtown Manhattan in New York City. With three terminals and over 50 airlines, Newark Airport is a popular choice for both domestic and international travel. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about Newark Liberty International Airport, from transportation options to facilities and amenities.
Transportation Options to and from Newark Airport
There are several transportation options available to travelers who are flying in or out of Newark Airport. These include:
- Taxi: Taxis are available at all three terminals and are a convenient option for those who prefer a door-to-door service. The cost of a taxi ride to Manhattan can range from $50 to $75, depending on the time of day and traffic conditions.
- Car Rental: Most major car rental companies have a presence at Newark Airport, and their rental counters are located in each terminal’s arrivals area.
- Public Transportation: The cheapest way to get to Manhattan from Newark Airport is to take the AirTrain and then transfer to either the NJ Transit train or the PATH train. The AirTrain costs $5.50, and the NJ Transit or PATH train fares vary depending on the final destination.
- Airport Shuttle: Several shuttle companies offer shared rides from Newark Airport to Manhattan and other destinations in New Jersey. The cost of a shuttle ride to Manhattan is around $20 per person.
Terminals and Airlines
Newark Airport has three terminals, Terminals A, B, and C, and is served by over 50 airlines. Here’s a breakdown of the airlines that operate out of each terminal:
- Terminal A: Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, JetBlue Airways, and Southwest Airlines.
- Terminal B: Delta Air Lines and Spirit Airlines.
- Terminal C: United Airlines.
Facilities and Amenities
Newark Airport offers a wide range of facilities and amenities for travelers, including:
- Dining and Shopping: There are over 50 restaurants and shops located throughout the airport, including national chains and local favorites.
- Lounges: There are several lounges available for passengers to relax and unwind before their flight, including the United Club, the Delta Sky Club, and the Art & Lounge.
- Wi-Fi: Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the airport.
- Children’s Play Areas: There are several play areas located throughout the airport for children to burn off some energy before a long flight.
- Charging Stations: There are charging stations located throughout the airport, allowing travelers to charge their devices while waiting for their flight.
Newark Airport offers several parking options for travelers, including short-term and long-term parking. Here’s a breakdown of the parking options and rates:
- Short-Term Parking: Located across from each terminal, short-term parking costs $4 for the first half hour and $8 for up to one hour. The maximum daily rate is $39.
- Daily Parking: Located near the terminals, daily parking costs $34 per day.
- Economy Parking: Located off-site, economy parking costs $18 per day and provides shuttle service to and from the airport.
Flights and Destinations
Newark Airport offers flights to destinations around the world. Some of the most popular domestic and international destinations include:
- Domestic: Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Orlando, and Denver.
- International: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Beijing, Hong Kong, and Tel Aviv.
Tips for Traveling Through Newark Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport, located just outside of New York City, is one of the busiest airports in the United States, serving millions of travelers each year. As with any large airport, navigating Newark can be overwhelming, but with a little preparation and some helpful tips, your travel experience can be smooth and stress-free. In this article, we’ll share some useful tips for traveling through Newark Airport.
- Arrive Early:
As with any airport, it’s always a good idea to arrive early, especially during peak travel periods. Newark Airport recommends arriving at least two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight. This will give you plenty of time to check in, go through security, and make your way to your gate without feeling rushed.
- Know Your Terminal:
Newark Airport has three terminals, each with its own set of gates and services. Before arriving at the airport, make sure you know which terminal your flight is departing from, so you can plan your route accordingly. The AirTrain, a free monorail system, connects all three terminals and the airport’s parking lots, rental car facilities, and NJ Transit train station.
- Use Pre-Check:
If you’re a frequent traveler, consider applying for TSA Pre-Check. This program allows you to skip the regular security lines and go through an expedited screening process, which can save you a lot of time and hassle. TSA Pre-Check is available at Newark Airport, and the enrollment process is relatively quick and easy.
- Bring a Reusable Water Bottle:
Newark Airport has water fountains and bottle-filling stations throughout the terminals, so bringing a reusable water bottle can save you money and help reduce plastic waste. Just make sure your bottle is empty when you go through security, as you cannot bring liquids through the checkpoint.
- Download the Newark Airport App:
The Newark Airport app is a great tool for travelers, providing up-to-date information on flight schedules, gate assignments, and security wait times. You can also use the app to book parking, access airport maps, and find information on dining and shopping options.
- Consider Airport Lounges:
If you have a long layover or need a quiet place to work, consider visiting one of Newark Airport’s lounges. These spaces offer comfortable seating, Wi-Fi, and complimentary snacks and drinks, making them a great option for travelers looking to relax or get some work done. There are several lounges available at Newark Airport, including United Club and Delta Sky Club.
- Pack Smart:
To make your trip through Newark Airport as smooth as possible, make sure you pack smart. Review the TSA’s guidelines on what you can and cannot bring through security, and pack your liquids in a clear, quart-sized bag. Avoid packing items that are prohibited, such as weapons, and make sure any electronics are charged and easily accessible.
- Stay Connected:
Newark Airport offers free Wi-Fi throughout the terminals, so you can stay connected and entertained during your travels. Make sure your devices are fully charged before arriving at the airport, and consider bringing a portable charger or power bank for extra juice on the go.
- Be Prepared for Weather:
Newark Airport can experience inclement weather, particularly during the winter months. Make sure you check the weather forecast before traveling and prepare accordingly. This may include packing warm clothing, checking for flight delays or cancellations, and allowing extra time for travel.
In conclusion, traveling through Newark Liberty International Airport can be a smooth and stress-free experience with a little preparation and some helpful tips. Arriving early, knowing your terminal, using TSA Pre-Check, packing smart, and staying connected are just a few ways to make your travel experience more enjoyable.
- Lihue Airport: Facilities, Services, and Tips for Travelers
- Florence Airport: Facilities, Transportation, and Tips
- Narita International Airport: A Comprehensive Guide for Travelers
Frequently Asked Questions About Newark Liberty International Airport
- Which airlines operate at Newark Liberty International Airport?
Newark Airport is a hub for several airlines, including United Airlines and FedEx Express. Other airlines that operate at the airport include American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, Air Canada, and British Airways, among others.
- How do I get to and from Newark Airport?
Newark Airport is conveniently located in close proximity to several major highways, including the New Jersey Turnpike and Interstate 78. Additionally, there are several public transportation options available, including trains, buses, and taxis.
- Is there parking available at Newark Airport?
Yes, there are several parking options available at Newark Airport, including long-term and short-term parking. The airport also offers valet parking and economy parking options.
- What amenities are available at Newark Airport?
Newark Airport offers a wide range of amenities for travelers, including a variety of restaurants and cafes, shops, duty-free stores, and lounges. Additionally, the airport features Wi-Fi access, charging stations, and luggage storage facilities.
- Is there a hotel located at Newark Airport?
Yes, there are several hotels located at or near Newark Airport, including the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, and the Hilton Newark Airport.
- What is the TSA PreCheck program, and how can I sign up for it?
TSA PreCheck is a program that allows eligible travelers to enjoy expedited screening at participating airports. To enroll in TSA PreCheck, travelers must complete an online application, undergo a background check, and schedule an appointment at an enrollment center.
- How early should I arrive at Newark Airport before my flight?
It is recommended that travelers arrive at the airport at least two hours before their domestic flights and three hours before their international flights. This allows enough time for check-in, security screening, and boarding.
- What is the Newark Airport Express?
The Newark Airport Express is a bus service that provides direct transportation between Newark Airport and several locations in Manhattan, including Grand Central Terminal, the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and the World Trade Center. The service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Are there any lounges available at Newark Airport?
Yes, there are several lounges available at Newark Airport, including the United Club, the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, and the Art & Lounge. Access to these lounges may be restricted to members or certain ticket classes.
- Is there a smoking area at Newark Airport?
No, smoking is not permitted inside Newark Airport. However, there are designated smoking areas outside of the airport terminals.