Nestled in the lap of the Himalayas, Sangla is a breathtakingly beautiful town in the Baspa Valley of Kinnaur district in Himachal Pradesh, India. Known for its serene beauty and captivating landscapes, This Place has emerged as a must-visit destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts alike. In this detailed article, we’ll explore the different aspects of this place including its top tourist spots, how to get there, the local weather and climate, exciting things to do, and much more.
Sangla is a town situated at an altitude of about 2,700 meters above sea level. It is known for its lush green valleys, apple orchards, and snow-capped mountains. The town is also famous for its ancient temples and monasteries, which add to its spiritual charm. This Place offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, cultural richness, and adventure, making it a favorite destination for travelers.
Places to Visit in Sangla
This place is home to a variety of tourist attractions that cater to different tastes and preferences. Here are some of the must-visit places in Sangla:
A historical fort that dates back to the 15th century, Kamru Fort is one of the oldest forts in the region. It is located at a height of 2,600 meters and offers stunning views of the Sangla Valley.
Often referred to as the ‘Baspa Valley’, Sangla Valley is the main attraction of the town. The valley is known for its picturesque landscapes, lush greenery, and tranquil ambiance.
Known as the ‘Last Village of India‘, Chitkul is located near the Indo-China border and is the last inhabited village before the border. It is famous for its beautiful landscapes and is a popular spot for photography enthusiasts.
The Baspa River flows through the Sangla Valley and is known for its crystal-clear waters. The river is a favorite spot for fishing and camping.
Bering Nag Temple:
Dedicated to Lord Jagas, the Bering Nag Temple is an ancient temple located in the Sangla Valley. The temple is known for its intricate wooden carvings and is a must-visit for those interested in architecture and history.
Located at a distance of 14 km from this place, Rackchham Village is known for its traditional Kinnauri architecture and stunning views of the mountains.
Another beautiful village in the Sangla Valley, Batseri is known for its apple orchards and traditional wooden houses.
Situated at a height of 2,900 meters, Rakcham is a small village located between this place and Chitkul. The village is known for its peaceful ambiance and is a favorite spot for trekkers and nature lovers.
Located at a distance of about 49 km from this place, Kalpa is a small town that is known for its apple orchards and breathtaking views of the Kinner Kailash mountain range.
How to Reach Sangla
This place is well-connected by road, and the best way to reach the town is by road. However, there are other modes of transportation available as well:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Sangla is the Bhuntar Airport in Kullu, which is about 238 km away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach this place.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Sangla is the Shimla Railway Station, which is about 244 km away. From the railway station, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach this place.
- By Road: Sangla is well-connected by road and can be easily reached by taxi or bus from nearby cities like Shimla, Manali, and Chandigarh.
Weather in Sangla
This place experiences a temperate climate, and the weather here varies throughout the year:
- Summer: The summer season in Sangla lasts from April to June, and the weather during this time is pleasant and cool. The temperature ranges from 15°C to 25°C, making it an ideal time for sightseeing and outdoor activities.
- Winter: The winter season in Sangla lasts from November to March, and the weather during this time is cold and chilly. The temperature can drop to as low as -10°C, and the region experiences heavy snowfall.
- Monsoon: The monsoon season in Sangla lasts from July to September, and the weather during this time is humid and wet. The region receives moderate rainfall, and the temperature ranges from 10°C to 20°C.
Things to Do
Sangla offers a variety of activities for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the top things to do in Sangla:
- Adventure Activities: This place is a paradise for adventure enthusiasts, and the region offers a variety of adventure activities like trekking, camping, river rafting, and fishing.
- Explore Local Culture: This place is known for its rich cultural heritage, and travelers can explore the local culture by visiting ancient temples and monasteries, attending local festivals, and interacting with the locals.
- Try Local Cuisine: This place is famous for its delicious local cuisine, and travelers can try a variety of local dishes like Chana Madra, Dham, Siddu, and Babru.
- Narkanda: A Guide to the Hidden Gem of Himachal Pradesh
- Best Time to Visit Himachal Pradesh
- Suraj Tal, Himachal Pradesh
What is the best time to visit Sangla?
The best time to visit this place is from April to June when the weather is pleasant and cool, and the region is in full bloom.
Are there any good hotels in Sangla?
Yes, there are several good hotels and guesthouses that offer comfortable accommodations and modern amenities.
What is the nearest airport to Sangla?
The nearest airport to this place is the Bhuntar Airport in Kullu, which is about 238 km away.
What is the local language spoken in Sangla?
The local language spoken here is Kinnauri, but most people also understand and speak Hindi and English.
Is Sangla safe for solo travelers?
Yes, Sangla is safe for solo travelers, and the locals are known for their hospitality and friendliness.
Sangla is a beautiful town that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, cultural richness, and adventure. Whether you’re a nature lover, a culture enthusiast, or an adventure seeker, Sangla has something for everyone. So, pack your bags and get ready to explore the mesmerizing beauty of Sangla.